Common Requests for Special Needs

Notification of all special needs including dietary restrictions, wheelchair and mobility access, vehicles in camp, injections, etc. must be made to the camp director by June 1st by submitting a special needs form, either on-line you can download a PDF of the form from the Documents and Downloads tab. Each Scout and leader require their own individual forms – do not put multiple attendees on a single form.

Menu alterations:

We anticipate having campers and leaders with a variety of special dietary needs including gluten, eggs, milk, nuts, or personal (i.e., vegetarian), religious beliefs (i.e., pork, and/or other allergies. However, knowing if our campers have special dietary needs well in advance helps us more effectively plan to provide quality meals for them. Camp menus are posted online ( on May 1, prior to the opening of the camping season. Although menus are subject to change, they give a good idea of the meal items planned. Gorham Scout Ranch will do everything possible to make every reasonable effort to accommodate dietary needs; however, Scouts and their parents are encouraged to bring any additional food that they feel would better satisfy their needs. Campers are not permitted in the kitchen per state health department regulations, but the cook may be able to assist with minor menu substitutions.

Wheelchair & Limited Mobility Access:

Camp staff will make every effort to place those with mobility challenges in campsites close to the center of camp. Gorham Scout Ranch has limited wheelchair access to tents, restrooms, and other campsite features. Be sure to submit the form at least two weeks prior to camp. Off-road wheelchairs will make mobility around camp easier.

Vehicles in Camp:

To assure the safety of the units/groups at camp and to minimize the impact on the environment and roads, after check-in, private vehicles are NOT PERMITTED to be driven around in camp. The ONLY exception made is for participants with severe mobility limitations. A state-issued disabled parking permit is required, and approval from the camp director MUST be granted in the form of a vehicle pass that must be displayed at all times on the vehicle dashboard. Moving vehicles present a safety hazard for pedestrians on camp roads, and this rule is strictly enforced; only extreme circumstances warrant a vehicle pass.

Please do not drive into the campsites and never park or drive on vegetation, only park in pull outs next to road when at your campsite, always park facing the road (back in) or facing the exit if parallel parked

Vehicles are to be parked only in designated parking areas. Again, always park facing the road or exit. Please lock your vehicle. Keep valuables locked in your vehicle or see the camp director for other arrangements.

The speed limit in camp is 5 mph or no dust whichever is slower; drivers must exercise extreme caution at all times and stop whenever pedestrians are near the vehicle. Riding outside of a vehicles enclosed passenger compartment is never allowed. This means no one may ride in the bed of a pick-up truck, on hoods, trunks, fenders, tailgates on or in trailers etc. Under no circumstances are vehicles allowed on the road to the horse corrals and the ATV course.

Car keys must always be kept with the driver in case of emergency.

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Instruments

For campers with CPAP instruments, please note that campsites do not have electricity and sleeping areas are not available in buildings at camp. To prepare for camp, two options are suggested:

One, avid campers may consider purchasing a battery-operated CPAP instrument. A good source for battery-powered CPAP instruments is If charging a battery-operated CPAP is required during daytime hours, please schedule charging times. Two, those who use an instrument that requires 120V AC power (household current) can bring an inverter and an automobile battery. This is a proven method for many campers over the past several summers. Please note that vehicles cannot be parked in or near campsites for the purpose of powering CPAP instruments.


Camp personnel are not authorized to administer injections. Campers who require injections need to administer their own injections or be accompanied by an adult trained and authorized (by parent/guardian in the case of a minor) to administer injections for that camper.